Thursday, April 22, 2010

Food Not Lawns

First off I should let all of you know the school garden has been approved, yeah!!!
Now we have to start prepping the planting bed, which means that we're going to solarize the ground (covering the ground with black plastic to kill/cook all the weeds and their seeds). Now were the heck can I get all this plastic? I'm thinking that I may be able to use heavy duty garbage bags, but I may have to check out a hardware store for some construction grade plastic, or a tarp. Anyone have any ideas???

Today the grade 1s and 2s planted some seeds that they'll grow in their classroom. We've got chard, romaine, arugula, pumpkin, watermelon, sugar peas, and snow peas. I hope that most of the seeds germinate and start to grow soon so that we can enjoy a salad before the end of the school year. Now I know that there is more than likely to be some vandalism or theft, but I'm going to keep my chin up if any of that happens. If we can keep the pumpkin and melons to the back of the garden maybe people wont notice them.

I've got to get ready for Eco-Committee meeting, then I'm off to hockey, and then I'm off to pick up my chest freezer (bought used) so that I'll have tons of space to freeze all the fresh local foods that are available at the farmers market this summer.

Things are looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment