Monday, February 22, 2010

Seedy Saturday (Sunday)

Wow, what a busy and jam packed place the barns were on Sunday. I would have liked to have spent more time looking around and talking with vendors, but it was just way too packed for me.
It was great to see Garden Jane there. I first met her when I worked out in Scarborough, back when I first started teaching and got involved with Eco-Schools. Jane has a great program going on with beans and I hope to get in touch with her to find out more about it. Jane is the woman who gave me the recipe for seed balls.
While it's on my mind I'll have to remember to make seed balls with the Eco-Club for Easter and/or Mothers Day. That way students can go out with their families and drop balls all over the neighbourhood.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the main reason that I went to Seedy Sunday... to get seeds!!! There were tonnes of plants to choose from and lots of vendors. I was looking for plants that would either come up early in the season while students were still in school or late in the season when students have come back to school.
I managed to get some pumpkin seeds, chard, peas, and arugula. I can't help but think that maybe I should have tried to get some corn and have a Three Sisters section in the garden. I was also able to get native butterfly plants; they're in my freezer right now being tricked into thinking that they're in the ground ;)
I wonder if I can do the same thing with garlic?

No comments:

Post a Comment